Rubik's Revenge

I've got a Rubik's problem. Tom got me a Rubik's Revenge for my birthday. It's a 4x4x4 version of the evil cube. With 7.4E45 permutations possible for the 56 components of the cube there is a lot of twisting to do.

Interestingly, it's not too much different to solve than the 3x3x3 cube. Basically what you can do is reduce the 4x4x4 to the same problem as the 3x3x3 by solving the centers and pairing up all of the edge pieces. Once that is done, the two inner layers can be rotated in tandem and solved normally.

Solving the centers and edges only takes a handful of new algorithms. Once you solve a couple of centers that part becomes pretty easy. The first 6 edges are cake too because you have room to store them out of the way once you've matched the pieces. After that things get a little trickier.

It's sitting on my desk at work right now. I've got the cheat sheet for solving it in my "man purse." Sweet fancy Moses I am a dork.

No comments: